RoboThespian Installation Overview & Requirements
RoboThespian >> RoboThespian Installation Overview & Requirements
This page gives an overview of the installation requirements for RoboThespian and examples of stage areas for anyone new to RoboThespian.
Setup is straightforward, consisting of a robot, a touchscreen kiosk for easy public interaction and (optionally) a portable air compressor.
For detailed unpacking and assembly instructions see RoboThespian Unpacking & Assembly and watch the video.
Minimum Installation Requirements
- Suitable for indoor use only. Recommended room temperature: 10°C - 30°C, relative humidity: 45% - 60%
- Standard domestic mains power in the range 100v - 250v AC
- A barrier to prevent contact between visitors and RoboThespian.
- Wired internet network connection - required for remote support, fault resolution, and the application of updates and new software/content features.
- Un-oiled, compressed air at 6bar, filtered to 10µm. Peak air consumption 30L/min at 6bar maximum, on average consumption is much less.
- Airline connection to robot is via an 8mm outside diameter Push-In-Fitting.
- Extra 8mm outside diameter polyeurethane tubing can be supplied on request.
- Wired internet connection with good bandwidth - see Network Setup
Example Stage Areas
Reference Stage Design
Downloadable drawing with recommended stage dimensions in pdf format:
RoboThespian can also be installed directly onto a stage. For this application a low-profile version of the base is available. A hole in the base, allows cables to be neatly routed down into the stage. The robots DC power supply unit can also be located directly below him, we recommend a hole in the stage 150mm in diameter under the base.
Hole layout for feet - if mounting directly on own base / stage
Should you want to mount RoboThespian directly on your own stage or base, please use the following hold template:
Downloadable and printable template here:
Print template at 1:1 scale (i.e. do not scale to fit page when print). Check dimensions against a ruler before using.
Press fit 8 off M8 threaded prong nuts (tee nuts) into the underside of the base for fastening RoboThespian onto:
Touchscreen kiosk Dimensions
The touch screen kiosk is the most common way in which visitors can interact with the robot. It also offers staff the ability to adjust settings and shut down the robot. For full details of the touchscreen functionality please see Touchscreen
The kiosk is supplied with 5m of cabling to RoboThespian.
For customers that do not have a fixed supply of compressed air, we recommend the following portable air compressors for use with RoboThespian. These can be supplied by Engineered Arts with your robot.
Jun-Air Model OF302-25B Portable Air Compressor
- Suitable for installations where the compressor can be located in a separate room to the robot due to noise level.
- Noise level is 65-66 dB(A) – comparable to a hairdryer.
- Technical Spec: http://www.jun-air.com/product_detail.aspx?ProductID=572&ProductTypeID=49
Jun-Air Model OF302-25M Portable Air Compressor
- Compressor is contained in an acoustic housing to reduce noise level.
- Noise level 47-48 dB(A) – quiet enough to be located very close to robot without causing distraction.
- Technical Spec: http://www.jun-air.com/product_detail.aspx?ProductID=574&ProductTypeID=49
Always check and familiarise yourself with the operating instructions for the compressor.