Telepresence is a feature that allows an operator to use a PC or certain Android tablets with headset and microphone to control Engineered Arts' robots like RoboThespian or SociBot and speak to people via the robot.
This allows for two way conversation with people who are stood in front of the robot and flexibility for the operator to respond in real time to any questions or comments with their own voice.
The operator can see what the robot sees and select the subject to talk to. The robot will maintain eye contact with the subject and move its head to keep them in view.
- Operator (can be out of sight of subject)
- Microphone headset
- Android tablet
- Robot RoboThespian shown
- Robot lipsyncs to your voice, says what you say, looks at subject
- Robot gestures with head and arm movements
- Subject speaking to robot
Tablet and Hardware
- Android tablet - currently Google Pixel C, supplied with microphone headset
- Microphone headset recommended - Sennheiser GSP 350.
- The closed cups block out external noise
- It has excellent noise cancellation so you don't hear your own voice.
- Please note that there is a volume dial on the right ear cup (so if audio sounds quiet - please also check the dial)
Quickstart Instructions in brief - further screenshots to be added soon
Login with your username and password to https://telepresence.engineeredarts.co.uk
- you can see which of your robots are online in green. Make sure the mic in your PC / laptop is muted or you are at least 5 - 10m from robot and then click on your robot to control it
Once logged in:
- Clicking anywhere on the screen makes the robot look at that point
- The classic gamers keyboard controls W, A, S, D also make the head look around
- W - up, A - left, S - down, D - right
- Click on a face on the screen to track that person automatically with robot's eyes and head
- Clicking on the screen elsewhere or using W,A,S,D will override this
- Tracking can be disabled if desired - click the three lines on the top right to open the options menu
- Click the folder icon on the right to open folders of content, the icon with an infinity symbol is for looped content like talking / listening.
- The other folders you should be able to guess, once a folder is open click on the performance you want - most are short, like one line film impressions.
- Stop button at bottom stops current content playing
- You can also drag your favourites from a folder down to the bottom of the screen for easy access.
- Press H to show text overlays and keyboard shortcuts on the buttons
- Click the three lines on the top left to open the audio panel and access audio controls. The up arrow returns you to the list of robots.
- We have had good results with this USB mic headset plugged into PC or laptop - Sennheiser GSP 350 Closed Back Gaming Headset - the closed cups block out external noise and it has excellent noise cancellation so you don't hear your own voice.
- Please note that there is a volume control on the right ear cup (large round red nob). If audio sounds quiet - please check this as well.